Diversity and Inclusion
Heinz has maintained a strong commitment to being a diverse and inclusive organization, retaining superior talent and leveraging diversity to drive the Company’s business results, image and employee satisfaction. As of April 2013, Heinz employed approximately 30,000 people worldwide on a full-time basis.
Our objectives in pursuing diversity and inclusion initiatives have been to:
- Achieve a skilled, high-performing workforce that is reflective of the diverse global marketplace;
- Cultivate external relationships with professional and civic groups to support business priorities; and
- Foster an inclusive culture that embraces differences and drives innovation to accelerate growth.
Heinz has recognized the need for a dedicated organizational structure to address diversity and inclusion. Our commitment has included a Manager of Diversity & Inclusion and a Group Leader of Global Diversity & Inclusion. These executives report to our Chief People Officer.
In conjunction with Human Resources, this Global Diversity & Inclusion team has assured compliance with employment laws, regulations and Company policy. It is also responsible for developing and implementing diversity and inclusion strategic initiatives. The team has utilized the resources of the Company’s Inclusion Council to set objectives and monitor progress against our diversity initiatives.
Diversity & Inclusion ROI
- Developed a corporate statement on diversity to educate employees and external stakeholders on Heinz’s diversity and inclusion position;
- Developed an external website on diversity and inclusion to promote Heinz’s diversity commitment;
- Established a suite of six diversity awareness training options for employees;
- Trained all new salaried employees in the U.S. on diversity inclusion; and
- Engaged Employee Resource Group members in the active recruitment of diverse employees at national minority organizations (National Black MBA and National Hispanic MBA) in the U.S.
Heinz remained committed to promoting inclusive opportunities for suppliers through our supplier diversity program. We demonstrated our belief that supplier diversity gives us a competitive advantage by allowing us to increase the variety of our products.
The Company maintained a Heinz North America supplier diversity policy to promote the importance of supplier diversity internally and externally. Heinz also participated in the food and beverage groups of the National Minority Supplier Diversity Council and Women Business Enterprise National Council.