Ethics and Compliance
Supplier Guiding Principles
H. J. Heinz Company is one of the world’s premier food companies. The Company is dedicated to providing superior food products that enhance the lives and well being of people everywhere. Heinz strives to follow the advice of its founder, “To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”
In order to continue to be one of the world’s premier food companies, Heinz has developed a set of Global Principles which convey to its employees and to the public Heinz’s values and commitments. In addition to the Global Principles and as part of Heinz’s efforts to foster relationships with suppliers who share similar values, Heinz is introducing its Supplier Guiding Principles for suppliers with whom the Company has a contractual relationship. The Supplier Guiding Principles restate our requirements and emphasize good workplace policies that comply with local labor laws, as well as applicable environmental laws.
These Supplier Guiding Principles apply to all suppliers with whom Heinz and its Business Units worldwide have a contractual relationship, including contractors, suppliers of goods and services, co-packers, and joint venture partners.
Supplier Guiding Principles:
- Legal Requirements
Suppliers will comply with all applicable laws and regulations in providing goods and services to Heinz.
- Employment Practices
- A. Minimum Age for Employment - Suppliers will not employ anyone under the legal working age as defined by local law.
- B. Forced Labor - Suppliers will not use forced or involuntary prison labor.
- C. Abuse and Harassment - Suppliers will not use corporal punishment or other forms of physical or sexual harassment or abuse of their employees.
- D. Discrimination - Suppliers will not discriminate on the basis of any condition or characteristic which is protected by applicable law or regulation.
- E. Freedom of Association - Suppliers will recognize and respect each employee’s right to associate with any legally sanctioned organization. The rights of labor unions must be respected.
- F. Work Hours, Work Week and Payment of Wages - Suppliers will comply with all applicable local laws.
- G. Health and Safety - Suppliers will provide employees with working conditions that are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations regarding worker health and safety.
Our suppliers will be expected to meet applicable environmental laws and regulations in their operations and to develop and implement plans and programs to correct any non-compliant practices.
We expect our suppliers to take appropriate steps to communicate these “Supplier Guiding Principles” to their employees.
Monitoring and Compliance
As part of the implementation of these Supplier Guiding Principles, these Principles will be incorporated into all new or renewed commercial agreements between suppliers and Heinz and its Business Units. Suppliers will be expected to certify their compliance with these Supplier Guiding Principles at Heinz’s request and to authorize Heinz and its designated agents (including any third parties) to engage in monitoring activities, including on-site inspections based upon reasonable notice.
When Heinz becomes aware of any actions or conditions not in compliance with these Supplier Guiding Principles, such actions or conditions will be reviewed, and appropriate corrective measures will be implemented.